View Mobile Site

 

Main> Hurricane Sandy

Latest News

Outage and Restoration Resources
report a power outage online
Use either the account number or the telephone number associated with the address to report a power outage or to obtain restoration information online through this link.
Central Hudson's Facebook page Central Hudson's Twitter page
Follow Central Hudson's social networking pages for continuous updates and important announcements.
StormCentral Outage Map
See the StormCentral Map for outage details and restoration estimates.

Download the free Central Hudson Mobile App (for Apple, Android and Blackberry devices)

Call Center
To speak with a Central Hudson representative, customers can call (845) 452-2700 or toll-free at 1-800-527-2714. Please note that due to heavy call volume, there may be significant hold times. If you would like to report an outage or check on restoration status, please click here instead and perform your report/request online so customers reporting hazardous situations can have their calls answered more quickly.

Emergency Shelters
List subject to frequent updates:

Beacon
Beacon High School
Address: 101 Matteawan Rd.
Hours: Open as of Monday, Oct. 29
845-838-6900

Craryville
West Taghkanic Firehouse
631 Old Route 82
518-851-7148

Ellenville
Trudy Farber Resnick Center
Address: 50 Center St.
Hours: Open at 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 29
845-647-3266

Kingston
Andy Murphy Mid-Town Neighborhood Center
Address: Corner of Broadway & Hoffman
Hours: Open at 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 29
845-481-7333

Middletown
HONOR Shelter
Address: 38 Seward Ave
Hours: Open as of Monday, Oct. 29

Newburgh
City of Newburgh Armory
Address: 321 South William St.
Hours: Open as of Monday, Oct. 29

New Paltz
SUNY New Paltz Gymnasium
Address: 1 Hawk Drive
Hours: Open as of Monday, Oct. 29.
845-235-1110

Red Hook
Red Hook High School
Address: 103 West Market Street
Hours: Open as of Monday, Oct. 29.
845-758-2241

Saugerties
Saugerties Senior Citizens Center
Address: Corner of Market & Robinson St.
Hours: Open at 10 a.m. Monday, Oct. 29

Shandaken
Belleayre Ski Center
Address: 181 Galli Curci Rd.
Hours: Open at 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 29

Dry Ice/Bottled Water Distribution
All times & locations for Sunday, Nov. 4

Note: This list will be updated if and when additional locations become available. Updates will also be announced via Facebook and Twitter:

SULLIVAN COUNTY
Neversink Fire House
7486 State Route 55, Neversink, NY 12765
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

ULSTER COUNTY
Accord Fire Department
22 Main St., Accord, NY 12404
Noon - 4 p.m.

 

 

Safety

Near Power Lines

  • If you see a downed power line, move away from it and anything touching it. The ground around power lines may be energized. Call Central Hudson immediately and we'll take care of the problem.
  • Do not attempt to move a downed power line or anything else in contact with it by using an object such as a broom or stick. Even non-conductive materials like wood or cloth, can conduct electricity if even slightly wet.
  • You cannot tell whether or not a power line is energized just by looking at it. You should assume that all downed power lines are live.
  • The proper way to move away from the power line is to shuffle away with small steps, keeping your feet together and on the ground at all times. This will minimize the potential for a strong electric shock.
  • If you see someone who is in direct or indirect contact with the downed line, do not touch the person. Call 911 for help.
  • Be careful not to touch or step in water near where a downed power line is located.
  • Do not drive over downed power lines.
  • If your car comes in contact with a downed power line while you are inside, stay in the car. Honk your horn to summon help, but direct others to stay away from your car. Stay inside and wait for rescue crews. Do not try to help someone else from the car while you are standing on the ground. If you do, you will become a path for electricity. In the event of a fire, jump clear from the car without touching the car and the ground at the same time; then shuffle away, keeping both feet on the ground at the same time, and taking care not to contact any wires or touch any object near the site of the accident.

Generator Safety

  • Generators should be sized to meet the needs of the appliances they are connected to. If too small, appliances can be damaged, and the generator can overheat, creating a fire hazard.
  • When using electric generators during power interruptions, be sure that the unit is sized and installed properly, and operated safely and according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Plug appliances directly into the generator using a heavy-duty, outdoor-rated extension cord that is designed to handle the wattage of all the appliances being connected.
  • If a generator is connected to the home, have an experienced electrician install the unit using the proper switches and connections. Improperly installed generators may overload circuits, cause a fire or shock hazard, and can result in serious injury or property damage.
  • Generators connected to the home must also be installed so that electricity will not back-feed onto electric lines, which can endanger repair crews working to restore service. A disconnect switch should be professionally installed by an electrician.
  • Do not operate generators in an enclosed area, such as a garage or shed, as this may cause a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide gas. Generators should be operated in open areas, but also protected from water by being placed, for example, on a dry surface under a shelter to prevent electric shock. Also, be sure to shut off generators when refueling, and store generators in dry areas to prevent moisture damage.

Carbon Monoxide Safety

  • Your oven, stove and charcoal grill were designed for cooking. Never attempt to heat your home with them. Doing so can create a fire hazard and cause a build-up of carbon monoxide.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, including the area near the heating system and any fuel-burning appliances, and also near the bedrooms.
  • Never use a gas or charcoal grill in an enclosed area, such as a home, garage or shed. The same goes for running a generator, automobile or other gasoline powered device.
  • Keep chimneys and flues free of debris, and have them cleaned and inspected periodically for cracks, leaks and for any buildup of soot or creosote.
  • Make sure there is adequate air available for appliances to use. Fuel-burning equipment needs air and air space around it to function properly. Extreme caution should be used when partitioning a furnace or water heater, as this can limit the amount of air available for combustion and cause a build-up of carbon monoxide. Newer "direct-vent" furnaces may supply air to the unit by a pipe to the outdoors – make sure this pipe is never blocked by snow, leaves or other debris. Also, when many fuel-burning appliances are working simultaneously (such as fireplaces or wood stoves along with the heating system), they are competing for a limited amount of indoor air, and may even cause a negative pressure condition. If this occurs, opening a window a bit will allow additional air into the home for proper combustion.
  • Have heating systems cleaned and serviced regularly, including an inspection of the heat exchanger for any cracks or leaks, and adjusting the fuel to air mix for efficient combustion.
  • Limit the use of indoor exhaust fans. Prolonged use of kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans, the constant use of power vents in attics, and even an open, working fireplace, can reduce the amount of air in the home. Lack of air can cause improper combustion of fuel-burning equipment, and can result in a backup of flue gases, including carbon monoxide.
  • If adding a coal or wood-burning stove, be sure it is professionally installed and vented.
  • Avoid blocking heating ducts and return ducts with drapes, furniture or floor coverings.
  • Be sure that your fuel-burning heating system and water heater has a required "spill switch" installed. When a chimney or flue is blocked, the products of combustion (including carbon monoxide) can escape into a home or building – a dangerous condition called "spillage." To help prevent this condition, a safety device called a spill switch is installed. It will automatically interrupt the supply of fuel and shut off the heating system if it detects a blockage. Central Hudson requires the use of a spill switch whenever a new natural gas heating system is installed, and whenever an existing heating appliance is converted from another fuel to natural gas. Central Hudson recommends that spill switches be installed on all existing gas heating appliances.

» More safety advice ...

Storm Preparedness Checklist
(Click image to enlarge)