View Mobile Site


Main> Contact Us> FAQ's
Billing and Payment Options
  • What are the payment options offered through
    Central Hudson?
  • Central Hudson provides a number of convenient payment options for customers to pay their electric and natural gas utility bill, including payment through U.S. Mail; payment by phone (through checking account); automatic deduction from your checking account through the Direct Pay program; regular electronic billing through the eBills program; one-time payments online, as needed, through the ezPay service; via credit or debit card (note that a convenience fee will be charged by a Third Party Payment Processor for all credit/debit card payments) and in person at one of our convenient payment locations. More information on how to use all of these options is available here. In addition, Central Hudson offers billing and payment assistance that can help reduce the impact of higher costs associated with your energy bills, including Deferred Payment arrangements for past due accounts, and the Budget Billing program, which divides the annual utility bill into even monthly payments. Payment Options and Special Assistance Programs are available here.

  • How often does Central Hudson read meters and issue bills?
  • Residential accounts are on a bimonthly schedule. Meters are read every two months, and billing statements for regular residential accounts are also issued every two months while budget billing accounts receive statements every month. Commercial accounts may be on a bimonthly or monthly schedule, depending on overall electric use.
  • What is Time of Use billing?
  • Time-of-Use is an optional billing method for residential customers to purchase their electricity based on when the actual use of electricity occurs. Time-of-Use pricing charges customers lower prices for electricity used during periods of low overall electric demand (off-peak hours) and higher prices during periods of higher electric demand (on-peak hours). By shifting the consumption of electricity to periods of lower demand, customers can take advantage of lower-cost energy. For more information on Time-of-Use Billing click here.

  • What is budget billing, and how do I enroll? How do I make changes to my Budget Billing account?
  • Budget Billing spreads your annual electric and natural gas bills evenly over 12 months. This avoids fluctuations in bill amounts, as payments will be uniform over 11 months based on your actual usage history. The bill for the 12th month will include an annual plus-or-minus adjustment to reflect the actual usage and price for the year. To enroll, contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714.

    To cancel or make changes to your budget billing amount, contact our Call Center, and have your account number ready.

  • How do I sign up to receive my bills on line?
  • Receive and pay your energy bills by mouse, not by mail, with Central Hudson's eBills Online Plan. It's fast, easy, secure and the plan is free. To enroll, or to learn more about this payment option, click on eBills

  • How can I view my balance on my ebill account?
  • For a current balance, use Central Hudson’s automated PowerLine by dialing (845) 452-2700. Choose option 3 for Account Information & Bill Payment, then press 1 for General Account Information, and follow the prompts (have the account number ready). To view the last billing payment, log onto Your Account and see the billing and payment history. 

    Can I make automatic payments to my account?
  • With our Direct Pay Service, your electric, gas and water heater lease bills will always be taken care of - on time, every time - automatically, from your checking account. You still receive a Central Hudson statement in the mail (either monthly or every other month, whichever you're used to) but it will be clearly marked "Do Not Pay." You'll have time to review your statement before your payment is deducted from your bank account, so we can discuss any questions you have beforehand. To print an application form right now, Click Here then select the print option on your browser. Use the BACK button to return to this page.  For more information, or to request an application, contact our Call Center at 845-452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714. 

    What can I do to reduce my bill?
  • There are several options customers may investigate to reduce their bills. First, using energy more efficiently can lower your usage and help better-manage your energy costs. Visit Energy Conservation for tips on reducing energy use. Customers may also shop for gas and electric supply from competing suppliers. For more information on this program, visit Energy Choice.

    Is there assistance available for paying my electric/gas bill? 
  • There are several programs to help customers with their utility bills, including the Home Energy Assistance Program that provides grants for income-qualified households, and the Powerful Opportunity Program, which combines energy conservation and financial management measures with assistance towards past due balances. For more information on these and other assistance programs, click here.

  • Why was my bill estimated?
  • Bills may be estimated due to difficulties in obtaining actual meter readings. At times, weather, lack of access, pets or other occurrences may prevent meter readers from taking a reading, and an estimated bill, based on past usage over the same period in past years, is issued. The bill will be adjusted with the next actual reading. If difficulties in accessing the meter persist, a special meter with wireless remote access may be installed. Contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 to discuss the possibility of this option.

  • Can you explain the line items on my bill?
  • Central Hudson bills are separated into Delivery, or charges to deliver energy to customers over the network of electric lines and gas pipelines, and Supply, or the cost of energy obtained on the wholesale market on behalf of customers. Within these areas are various line items, including taxes. For an explanation of these line items, click on Sample Bill. To view a history of electric and natural gas supply prices, click here.

  • What are "Heating Degree Days," and how does that relate to my energy use?
  • Heating degree days are a measure of cold weather, and indicate the extent to which heating systems are used to warm homes or buildings - and therefore fuel use. A degree-day is the number of degrees the average temperature falls below 65, which is the temperature most heating systems are turned on. For example, if the average temperature for a day is 60, subtracting 60 from 65 degrees equals 5 heating degree-days. The heating degree days for a two-month period, for example, is the sum of all the heating days for that period of time. The higher the heating degree days, the colder the temperature, and therefore higher fuel use is implied. Conversely, the lower the number of heating degree days, the warmer the weather, and less fuel use is implied. Conversely, the lower the number of heating degree days, the warmer the weather, and less fuel is generally used. Comparing heating degree days from one period to another is helpful in understanding differences in fuel use.
  • How do I find out if I have unclaimed funds due to me from Central Hudson?
  • Sometimes a customer has a refund due from Central Hudson that goes unclaimed. This can happen when a customer account has a credit balance or a deposit on the account and a refund check is generated and mailed to the customer. If the check comes back as undeliverable or remains uncashed, contact with the customer is attempted. If efforts to contact the customer fail New York State requires that after 2 years the funds be sent to the State as abandoned property. To see if there are unclaimed funds from Central Hudson (or many other companies) in your name, visit the New York State Comptroller's Office of Unclaimed Funds Web page and click the "Search Now" link. Then search using your name to see if there are any unclaimed funds reserved for you. The Office of the State Comptroller serves as custodian of this money. If you can prove you are entitled to the money, they will return it to you without charge. Until the money is claimed, it is used by the State’s General Funds, serving the citizens and taxpayers of the State of New York.

Opening and Closing Account

  • How do I start a new electric and/or gas account with Central Hudson?
  • For an existing or newly completed home, complete and mail a residential application form to Central Hudson Call Center, 284 South Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, or
    fax to 845-486-5658.
  • For existing or newly completed businesses, complete and mail a business application form
    to the same address or fax number.
  • You may also contact the Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 for assistance.

  •  How do I obtain a new electric or gas connection for a newly constructed home or business?
  • The owner, electrical contractor or heating contractor should print out and mail or fax the appropriate form to Central Hudson, New Service Application, 284 South Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, or fax to 845-486-5657.

  • New Residential Electric Service Form
  • New Commercial Electric Service Form
  • New Gas Service Request form (residential & commercial)
  • Forms and contact information together with Central Hudson’s specifications for new electric and natural gas connections are available in the Working With Us section of the web site, under New Service Requests
  • How do I obtain a natural gas or electric service upgrade?
    See the answers to the question above.

  • How do I open or close my Central Hudson account?
  • Contact Central Hudson five business days before opening or closing an account by calling (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714. Accounts can also be opened by printing, filling out and mailing or faxing a new account form (see the question above: How do I start a new electric and/or gas account with Central Hudson?

On-line Account Services ("Your Account")

  • What is the on-line “Your Account” service?
  • “Your Account” is an on-line tool to view and manage your Central Hudson account. As a “Your Account” user, you may obtain information concerning the status of your Central Hudson accounts and make simple changes whenever it is convenient, any time of the day or night. The account information that is available includes current bill information, history of energy usage, billing and payments. You can also choose to receive and pay your Central Hudson bills on the Internet through our eBills Online Plan. Alternatively, you can also make a one-time bill payment online using ezPay or request a Payment Extension if you need to stretch out paying your bill. Need to talk with a Customer Service Representative about your account? Once logged in, you can schedule a time for us to call you, or contact the Call Center directly at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714.

  • How do I sign up for “Your Account?” 
  • Click on the Register button on the Central Hudson home page, under the “Your Account” log-in box, top left of page, or click here. Have the account number and first line of the “Service For” name as it appears on the Central Hudson bill, and follow the prompts. Once registered, keep the User ID in a secure place, and use it to log onto Your Account to access your online account information.

  • I don’t have my account number; how do I register for “Your Account?”
  • In order to register, you will need your 11-digit Central Hudson account number and the name exactly as it appears on your bill.  This information can be found on an old bill, or on the current one when it arrives.  If you cannot find a bill, contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 for assistance.

  • Why do I need a user ID? Why can’t I access my information with my account number?
  • The customer service web portal was enhanced in May 2007 to allow customers to select an easy-to-remember User ID instead of their Central Hudson account number.  This feature also allows customers to access and manage multiple Central Hudson accounts under the one User ID.  The old method of accessing “Your Account” using a Central Hudson account number has now been phased out, and replaced with the User ID.

  • Can I change my user ID? 
  • No, once a User ID is chosen, it cannot be changed.

  • Can I change my password? 
  • Yes. Login to “Your Account” from the Central Hudson home page, select “Update Your Account Information,” then change the password.

  • Why have I not received my password by email?  
  • You may have a spam blocker in place, or your email address on file with us may be incorrect.  If you still do not receive your password after checking for a spam blocker on your email, please contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 for assistance.

  • I forgot my User ID - what do I do?
  • Click on the Login Help button on the Central Hudson home page, under the Your Account, or click here. Enter the account number and name as it appears on the bill, and the User ID will be emailed.  Customer Service Representatives do not have access to this information.

  • I forgot my password – what do I do?
  • Click on the Login Help button on the Central Hudson home page, under the Your Account, or click here. Enter the User ID, and the password will be emailed. Customer Service Representatives do not have access to this information.

  • How do I change the email address you have on file for me?              
  • Login to Your Account from the Central Hudson home page, then select Update Your Account Information, then Change eMail Address.  Note that the eBills Online Plan permits a different email address for electronic bill notification; be certain to change the email address on the eBills Online account if the email address for the eBills Online notification has also changed. 

Electronic Billing (eBills)

  • What is the eBills Online Plan?
  • The eBills Online Plan permits customers to receive and pay Central Hudson bills on the Internet, schedule payments and more.

  • I have not received my notification of a new eBills Online statement by email – what should I do? 
  • A spam blocker may be in place on your email, or the email address on file may be incorrect.  If the notification is still not received after checking for a spam blocker, please contact the Call Center at (845) 542-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 for assistance.

  • What does it mean if I see ‘Error: attempting to access the eBills Online service’ message?
  • You may see this error message if you click on “View & Pay eBills” but are not yet enrolled. To register for the eBills Online Plan, click on “About eBills/Sign-up.” If you are already registered and continue to receive this error message after having tried several times to access the service, please contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 for assistance.

  • I have multiple accounts – how do I access them on eBills Online?
  • The best way to access multiple accounts is to use the same User ID for all accounts.  Then, when viewing and paying, a list of all associated accounts will be shown. Choose the account to be viewed and paid, and when done select the next account to work with, and so on. If there are any difficulties, contact the Call Center for assistance at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714.

  • My bill is not showing on my eBills Online account – how do I find it?  
  • Go to the eBill Payment History tab.

Storms and Power Outages

  • What should I do when a storm is forecasted?
  • Storms and adverse weather can bring lightning, high winds, hail and ice that can damage electric facilities and cause a temporary loss of electric service. Proper preparation, such as ensuring adequate supplies of non-perishable food and water and having a battery operated flashlight and radio, can reduce the impact a power outage. Click here for more tips on preparing for storms or visit the Outages section of the web site.

  • What should I do if I lose power?
  • When your lights and electric appliances don’t work, check with your neighbors to see if their electricity is off.  If it is, call us at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 to report the outage.  Have your account number ready and follow the recorded instructions. You may also report a power outage on-line by clicking here. Click here for more information, or visit the Outages section of the web site.

  • Do you have programs for those dependent on electrically operated life support equipment?
  • If you or someone who resides in your household needs electricity to operate a life-sustaining device you may call our office or download an application for the Life Support Program . Return your completed form (which requires your doctor’s certification) to Central Hudson; Attention Consumer Outreach, 284 South Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12601. This identification on your account will remain in effect as long as the device is required. We will mail an annual certification form to you to be completed and returned by your attending physician.  As an added service, we will place a special tag on your meter and code your account to identify that life support is in use.  The service is also available for any tenants who require life support equipment and receive electricity service through the landlord’s account.

  • What do I need to know to install a generator?
  • Back-up generators require proper, professional installation. For safety, never plug a generator into any electric outlet in your home. A wrong connection could feed electricity back through the lines and endanger the lives of our repair crews. Check local ordinances to see if you need a special permit and inspection. For additional safety information, see generator safety.

Investor Relations

  • Where can I find information for investors or shareholders?
  • Central Hudson is a subsidiary of Poughkeepsie-based CH Energy Group which was acquired by Fortis Inc. in 2013. Since that acquisition, CH Energy Group is no longer a publicly traded company. Information regarding CH Energy Group is available at Information regarding Fortis Inc. is available at

Environment and Renewable Energy

  • How can I support green energy?
  • We welcome your interest, as it's important that we all help to preserve and protect our precious natural resources. In today’s deregulated energy market, individual customers have two options to support renewable energy, both of which are offered by independent companies: 1) you may purchase your energy supply through a service company that sells electricity generated with renewable fuels (such as wind, small hydro, biomass, solar, etc.) and/or 2) you may also purchase Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). Information on these options are available under the Green Energy section.

  •  What does Central Hudson do to protect the environment?
  • Central Hudson values environmental protection. This detailed Sustainability Report contains detailed information about Central Hudson's steadfast efforts to minimize our environmental impact.

  • What is net metering?
  • Net metering is offered to residential customers who install photovoltaic systems with ratings up to 25kW, wind systems with nameplate ratings up to 25kW and micro CHP or fuel cell systems up to 10 kW; business and municipal customers who install photovoltaic systems and wind with ratings up to 2MW; and farm customers who install farm waste systems with nameplate ratings up to 1 MW and wind up to 500 kW. The systems must be interconnected with Central Hudson electric distribution system. Excess energy generated by these systems can be “sold” back to Central Hudson, provided the systems meet certain guidelines. The surplus energy is subtracted, or "netted," from the energy supplied by Central Hudson and "net metered." For more information, see net metering.

  • How can I install a solar or wind system at my home or business?
  • Central Hudson customers may be eligible to install a solar or wind generator and operate in parallel with the electric grid. Certain interconnection guidelines must be met so that the system operates safely and properly; information is available here. The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) offers many incentives that pay for up to half the cost of grid-tied solar and wind generators, and lists qualified contractors.  Please visit their website for more information.

  • What are the sources of energy for electric generation in New York?
  • The New York Independent System Operator oversees energy production and transmission in New York, and assigns power to utilities based on their needs, geographic location and grid conditions. Information on energy sources for electric generation in New York is available through the New York Public Service Commission, under Environmental Disclosure (for the latest information, click on the most recent dates). For more information on renewable energy, see Green Energy on Central Hudson’s web site.

Energy Purchases From Independent Suppliers

  • What is Customer Energy Choice?
  • Customer Energy Choice allows electric and natural gas customers to purchase their energy supply from independent marketers rather than through their utility. Previously, electricity and natural gas had been supplied and delivered by Central Hudson at prices regulated by the New York State Public Service Commission. But in the newly competitive electric and natural gas markets, energy service companies can now supply electricity and natural gas at market-based prices, and customers are able to choose their energy supplier from among these companies. No matter which supplier is selected, Central Hudson will continue to operate and maintain the delivery system of wires and pipes that bring energy to homes and businesses. Central Hudson will still be there to answer calls and respond when storms and other emergencies interrupt service. For more information, click here to visit our Energy Choice section.

  • How do I decide whether to use a different supplier for electricity or natural gas?
  • Customers can choose their electric or natural gas supplier by comparing offers with Central Hudson’s supply costs. The Energy Choice section provides information on approved energy suppliers and Central Hudson historical supply costs. You may also have suppliers contact you regarding your energy options by filling out the on-line form here.

  • How do I switch? Can I switch back?
  • The independent supplier will contact Central Hudson once a decision is made to switch. Central Hudson must receive notification from your selected provider at least 15 calendar days prior to your intended start date. A confirming letter will be sent within five calendar days of receiving your enrollment. If you do not contact Central Hudson after receiving your confirmation letter, your account will be enrolled in Customer Energy Choice. If you choose to return to Central Hudson for full-service, you or your supplier should provide Central Hudson with at least 15 day's written or telephone authorization. Upon receipt of this notice, a confirming notice will be sent to you and your existing energy supplier. For more information, see Energy Choice FAQs.

  • I am concerned about a specific marketer who has approached me regarding my energy supply. What should I do?
  • As a reminder, marketers are independent, and not affiliated with Central Hudson. You may rescind a contract for the purchase of electricity or natural gas from a supplier within the first three days of making an agreement. As an added protection, Central Hudson offers a "block" on all accounts to prevent unauthorized switches, and customers may also register their home phone number at to prevent telemarketing calls. Finally, customers who feel they have been mislead by an energy service company can report this to the Public Service Commission at 1-800-342-3377.

Energy Prices and Rates

  • What are Central Hudson electric and gas rates?
  • Electric and natural gas rates are separated into Delivery and Supply. Delivery rates are regulated and set by regulators, and are available by clicking here . Supply prices are determined by market conditions of supply and demand, and vary from month to month. A history of natural gas and electric supply prices is available here. Central Hudson’s approved tariffs available through the New York Public Service Commission (use the pull-down menus under “Company Search”).

  • How do Central Hudson’s rates compare to other utilities?
  • Central Hudson customers pay amongst the lowest utility rates in New York. For a comparison, click here

Utility Pole Attachments

  • How do I obtain permission to attach decorations to a utility pole?
  • Hanging signs, decorations or other attachments to utility poles by individuals, businesses and local organizations are not permitted. Only municipalities may attach anything to utility poles and only after obtaining the proper license and meeting certain requirements.

Educational Information

  • Do you have educational information about energy for students?
  • Central Hudson provides information on electric and natural gas safety and energy efficiency for kids – visit the Kids Corner.

Trees and Electric Service

  • How do I report a tree limb near a power line along the street?
  • Contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714 to report trees or limbs that are in contact with primary electric wires (which are usually the top wires on utility poles located along streets and highways). Helpful information includes the street location of the tree, an intersecting street or road, and whether the condition presents an immediate hazard. Central Hudson will trim or remove the limbs to prevent an outage, and may seek the property owner’s permission to remove trees that are dead or dying and leaning heavily toward lines if they pose a dangerous condition.

  • Please note that Central Hudson is not responsible for trimming limbs near telephone wires (usually grouped near the bottom), or service wires that attach to individual homes. Central Hudson crews will drop service wires so that the property owner’s contractor can safely trim or remove limbs or trees; call Central Hudson for an appointment at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714. To learn more about trees and electric service, click here.

  •  Who is responsible for trimming limbs near the line that connects to my home or business?
  • The homeowner is responsible for clearing vegetation near service wires. Central Hudson crews will drop service wires so that the property owner’s contractor can safely trim or remove limbs or trees (contact our Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714, or have the contractor make the arrangements). Also, Central Hudson will remove brush or limbs as a result of routine tree trimming, however limbs that have fallen or have been trimmed as a result of a storm should be removed by the property owner. Central Hudson can be hired to trim customer-owned lines on private property – contact the Call Center for more information.

  • How often does Central Hudson trim trees?
  • Since storm-related damage to trees is the principal cause of power outages, Central Hudson regularly maintains clearance between the trees and distribution lines through a regularly scheduled program of inspection and trimming. We routinely trim along the 7,000 miles of our electric distribution system approximately every three years, and we also have initiated a more focused program to trim where tree damage could have the greatest impact on service. Under this program, the trimming area is expanded to remove all limbs above the power lines. Tree-trimming crews may stop by to discuss pruning or the removal of danger trees (those which are dead, dying or leaning sharply) that are on or near customer property and which threaten power lines. Also, new state laws also require Central Hudson trim transmission lines, or those that run off-road, to their full easements. These programs are important in improving electric reliability for everyone.

Speakers and Presenters

  • How do I arrange for a speaker or presenter for my club or classroom?
  • Call Tina Romaine or John Maserjian at (845) 486-5241 or (845) 486-5282, or send a request by email to


  • Who do I call when planning to dig or excavate?
  • Excavators must call Dig Safely: New York two-to-ten days before digging, drilling or blasting, by calling 1 (800) 962-7962, or by dialing 811. Calling one of these numbers will also contact affected municipalities and other utilities (such as telephone and cable TV companies) so that they can mark out their facilities, as well. Failure to make this call at least two, but no more than ten, full working days ahead of time can result in civil penalties, and excavators may be held liable for damages to underground facilities and other property, as well; but more important, contact with utility lines can cause severe, and even fatal, injury to excavators and others. For more information, and for a free Excavator Manual, contact Dig Safely: New York, by logging onto

    Natural Gas Pipeline Safety - What You Need to Know
  • What should I do if I smell natural gas?
  • If you think you smell natural gas, don’t light or use a match, turn lights on or off, use a flashlight, cell phone, telephone or turn on or off any other electronic device. Leave the building immediately and call Central Hudson as soon as possible at (800) 942-8274. Here are a few other safety tips:
    • Never allow children to play with or light gas appliances.
    • Keep water heater temperatures below 125 degrees F.
    • Be sure to "Call Before You Dig" to ensure that no pipelines are present at your excavation site: (800) 962-7962.
    • Inspect and clean all natural gas appliances and their connections regularly.
    • Never use a gas oven or range for space heating, or any purpose for which it was not designed.
    • Keep combustible materials away from natural gas appliances. Never place or store gasoline, paint, solvents, cleaning products or other flammable materials near a furnace, water heater, or other natural gas appliance. If you do have such materials on your property, even if you do not consider them to be in a location near your natural gas appliance, store them in a fireproof cabinet.
    • Ensure that the seal of a national testing agency, such as the American Gas Association or the Underwriters’ Laboratory, appears on any purchased appliance.
    • Be sure that the connection has been properly shut off and capped if moving a natural gas appliance for any reason.

Street Lights

  • How do I report a broken streetlight?
  • The best way to do so is online, here on the Central Hudson web site. Click the following link to Report a Streetlight Outage. Note that some streetlights, particularly those on metal poles, are maintained by the local municipality - Central Hudson will notify the proper agency if that is the case.

Utility Easements and Rights-of-Way

  • What activities are permitted on utility easements?
  • Utility easements allow Central Hudson and others to locate, operate and maintain electric and natural gas facilities on private and public properties. Activities on easements are restricted in order to keep easements clear and prevent interruption of vital utility services. All proposed activities must be approved by Central Hudson by contacting Special Services at (845) 486-5258, or by contacting the Call Center at (845) 452-2700 or, for calls from outside the 845 area code only, 1-800-527-2714.

  • What You Need to Know About Natural Gas and Electric Transmission Lines 
  • A project to rebuild an existing transmission line in Orange County is under development to improve service reliability and meet growing energy needs - to learn more, click here.

Energy Efficiency

  • Are there federal tax credits available for energy efficiency measures and use of renewable energy?
  • New York and federal tax incentives are available for many energy measures. Visit the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency

  • How can I use energy more efficiently?
  • There are many ways home and business owners can use energy more efficiently without sacrificing comfort or convenience, and in many cases for little or no cost. Click onto Energy Conservation on Central Hudson’s web site for links to information on saving energy, conducting a home energy audit, and more. For information on home energy audits, visit the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority for more information.
  • Does Central Hudson have programs to help me use energy more efficiently?
  • Rebates, cash incentives, appliance recycling programs, air sealing, high efficiency lighting and much more is available through Central Hudson. Learn more about the many energy efficiency programs and incentives for homes and businesses by visiting, or by calling 1-800-515-5353.

  • How can I obtain an energy audit?
  • Presently, energy audits are conducted by some local heating and air conditioning contractors, and by certified building performance contractors. Check the yellow pages for local contractors that perform this work, or visit the New York State Energy Research Development Authority for information on their audit program.

  • What does ENERGY STAR mean? Are there appliance and building standards for energy efficiency?
  • Energy Star is a set of federal guidelines for energy efficiency, and applies to appliances, electronics, heating systems, lighting, building standards and more. Using Energy Star products or building to Energy Star standards lowers energy use and costs, and protects the environment. Energy Star products sometimes may cost more initially, but pay for themselves quickly through energy savings. For more information on the Energy Star program, log onto; you may also wish to see Energy Star products and Energy Star building standards.

  • What do efficiency ratings (SEER, EER, etc.) mean for me?
  • These ratings indicate the efficiency of heating systems, cooling systems and appliances – the higher the rating, the more efficient the unit. Products with higher ratings generally cost more initially, but cost less to operate and generally recover the extra cost in a few years depending on usage and other factors. Contractors and appliance retailers can help determine the right efficiency rating for any application.

  • How much does it cost to run my appliances?
  • Energy Sense Brochure

  • How much does a Compact Fluorescent Lamp save compared to an incandescent bulb?
  • Compact Fluorescent lamps use up to 75 percent less energy than an incandescent bulb without sacrificing light quality. Although they cost more, compact fluorescent lamps about 10 times longer, and save about $50 over their lifetime.

  • How should broken CFLs be disposed of?
  • CFLs contain tiny amounts of mercury. All businesses and households are strongly encouraged to recycle their mercury-containing lamps, including low-mercury or "green end cap" lamps. Households are exempt from the regulations but encouraged to recycle fluorescent lamps through their local NYS DEC sponsored Household Hazardous Waste Program. For more information, contact your county’s recycling and waste center, or call the NYS DEC at 518-402-8705, or visit: Summary of Household Hazardous Waste Collection Programs in NYS. Energy Star also provides guidelines on the proper handling and disposal of CFLs on their website .

**For assistance in downloading and viewing Adobe Acrobat PDF documents, Acrobat Reader help is also available.